Nyheter Artiklar Bloggar Forum Bilder Annonser Recensioner Länkar Kalender Medlemmar Din sida Om... 
Bevakningar   Inställningar   Sök i forum   Forumregler

Gå tillbaka   Sysidans forum > Symaskiner > Allmänt om symaskiner

Notiser

Svara

Ämnesverktyg Sök i detta ämne Betygsätt ämne Visningsalternativ
Gammal 2013-03-02, 21:49   #1
elembee elembee är inte uppkopplad

A simple, inexpensive machine I can get in Sweden...

Hello.

I'm new in Sweden and left my sewing machine back in North America. Now that I'm here, I am missing it! So, I'll probably buy one. I am not an expert sewer by any means. I just want an inexpensive machine to use on some fairly basic sewing projects. I don't imagine I'll need any fancy stitches (I don't know their names or what to use them for anyway!). I'll probably sew things like cloth baby wipes, cloth diaper liners &/or covers (of thinner fabrics), trouser hems, pillow covers, maybe some simple baby tunics...

I'd like to cap my spending at 1000 SEK and preferably stay well under that. I don't have funds for anything more than that.

I don't know all of the brands of machines in Europe. Back home, I had a Brother XR-7700. It was a nice machine -- and had way more functions that I can imagine using.

Which machine(s) would you suggest, that I can buy in Sweden? I am even thinking of trying one of those "mini" sewing machines. An old used machine would be OK, too. I'm in the Uppsala area, so I can look into sewing shops here. (If I can find them!)

Thank you for your guidance to this newcomer!
elembee är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-02, 23:02   #2
sextiosexan sextiosexan är inte uppkopplad

We have brother sewingmachines here aswell. Many sewingmachineshops sell them, but you will probably found them more expensive then what you are used to from back home.
Sweden is an expensive country when it comes to sewingmashines and many of us here has bought our machines from England insted.
Here is a good seller if you want to compare prices.
http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/

To find a machine well under 1000kr, that´s not easy.
Maybe if you find a seller who also sell used machines you might be lucky and find one.
Most sellers do but it usually varies alot what they have in stock.

Another tips is to look at different secondhand shops. Today I saw two very old husqvarna machines for only 200kr/each at the "pingstkyrkans" secondhand sell. Both worked fine but they only had straight stitch, otherwise I would have bought one just for fun, but I want one with "sicksack" aswell.

Welcome to sweden.
sextiosexan är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-03, 02:15   #3
mmreow mmreow är inte uppkopplad

Hi 'Bee & welcome to Sweden!

I have to agree with the Sextiosexan, sewing machines can get rather expensive over here.

There are 2 specialty stores here in Uppsala town centre that sell sewing machines that I know of; one is at Sivia Torg next to the Oriental supermarket, and the other is next to Royale cinema. They sometimes have marked down prices as well as 2nd hand machines, but you gotta ask them... AFAIK their most economical new machines are about 2500kr or so, probably a Husqvarna Viking one.

I have seen some going for under 1000kr in Lidl, but they are extremely rare and since the stock is changed very often, it's hard to tell when (or if!) they'll be back on the shelves... apart from that you can also
check Tradera and/or Blocket, but that's assuming you can cope with Swedish?
If you're lucky you might be able to find one or two up for sale at the morning weekend flea market at Vaksalatorg (except, I'm not sure how many are selling in this weather - in spring/summer there's lots more stalls out), but they tend to be older machines, and may not always be problem-free.

You could also check out NetonNet for this cheapo chinesey-brand that does fit your budget: http://www.netonnet.se/art/hem-och-h...1/160854.5803/
This one is slightly over: http://www.symaskinswebbshoppen.se/P...%2cProductName

... but having not tested them myself I can't vouch for the quality of the stitching. Brother machines have really good stitches (I've used a much simpler model compared to the one you had though!), and I'm afraid you might be disappointed with the stitch quality on a cheaper machine... so do try it out before you decide on anything.

Good luck!
mmreow är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-03, 06:18   #4
ichigo ichigo är inte uppkopplad

The machines are really expensive here, even buying from UK make the price much lower.

But if you do not want to buy from UK, your best bet is go visit a proper sewing machine store and look at their used refursished machines. The advantage of buying in store is that you is protected by the consumer protection law and you get warranty too.

I would strongly advise you against buying *new* machines priced under 1000 SEK, because these are all crap, pretty much. So it is much better to buy an old good machine for same price as a crap new machine.

If you buy locally (both for new and used machines), please give it a test drive with your own materials, sewing as you would do at home. The stitches you are going to use, the seam allowance width you would use. Even on a crap machine you can get a ok stitch if you sew on the center of a cotton fabric. Try the widest setting of zig zag, it is the most "sensitive" stitch because it is closer to the boundaries in the machinery. (to be precise, a common problem by then the bobbin thread would not be caught sometimes, making skipped stitches)

A testing institute have reviewed and compared a few common machines in Sweden, you can see it here. It is in Swedish, but you could get a gander of the price figures. (you can see that the cheaper machines won't work well on knit fabrics)
http://www.testfakta.se/hem_hushall/article83329.ece
ichigo är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-03, 14:30   #5
lenmargret lenmargret är inte uppkopplad

Hello!
Just a thougt from me, is`nt cheaper to ship your sewingmachine from US, than to buy one here? Can delivery cost more than 1000 sw kr?
Welcome to Sweden!
lenmargret är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-03, 15:25   #6
sextiosexan sextiosexan är inte uppkopplad

Citat:
lenmargret skrev: Visa inlägg
Hello!
Just a thougt from me, is`nt cheaper to ship your sewingmachine from US, than to buy one here? Can delivery cost more than 1000 sw kr?
Welcome to Sweden!
Tyvärr är inte elen samma, vi har 230v, usa har 110v, om inte så hade jag köpt maskiner overthere.
sextiosexan är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-03, 17:23   #7
ichigo ichigo är inte uppkopplad

You could buy an adapter so you can run the machine anyway. Something like these on this page:
http://www.legoelektronik.se/ac-ac-230-110v.html
Just be careful with buying much enough watt to cover the machine's power usage.

It might be safer to use it with machine that is mechanical, and not electronic. (less risk of frying something)

But considering the cost of the adapter I think you would be better off buying a refurbished sewing machine in Sweden. You can get real workhorse from back in time for almost nothing. I paid 1000 SEK for my Top of Line machine from 50's. It is the best machine I have ever used (out of domestic sewing machines). (pfaff 332)

Magica: du kan mycket väl köpa därifrån om du kör med adapter. Det som hindrar är normalt tullen. usch.
ichigo är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-03, 19:12   #8
Marron Marron är inte uppkopplad

The brands to go for in Sweden is Pfaff, Brother, Janome, Bernina, Husqvarna, Singer. Some of the cheapest Singer machines that you can find in supermarkets is not good. If they brake no one can fix them, there are no spare parts to those machines, and that goes for all cheap machines that you buy on supermarkets as far as I know.

My advise to you is to go to a dealer an buy an older machine with guarantee.

You can also check on blocket.se but there you have the risk that the machine is not good and you have to have it served (costs ca. 800 kr) or repaired.
Marron är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Gammal 2013-03-04, 08:45   #9
krtek krtek är inte uppkopplad

As a simple machine is all you need I would go for an older used one. Maybe this one? http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Syma...8634.htm?ca=11

Keep track of machines close to you on Blocket and Tradera (I usually use www.annonskartan.se as it will check both in a specific area).

Husqvarna 2000 something is also an old good brand (these are called Viking in North America). I got hold of a Polish machine from early 70-ties a few months ago, a Predom Lucznik for 200 kr (in a cabinet) and I really like it so far!
krtek är inte uppkopplad   Svara med citat
Svara

Ämnesverktyg Sök i detta ämne
Sök i detta ämne:

Avancerad sökning
Visningsalternativ Betygsätt det här ämnet
Betygsätt det här ämnet:

Regler för att posta
Du får inte posta nya ämnen
Du får inte posta svar
Du får inte posta bifogade filer
Du får inte redigera dina inlägg

BB-kod är
Smilies är
[IMG]-kod är av
HTML-kod är av

Alla tider är GMT +1. Klockan är nu 23:23.